Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
John Lutgens, Attorney at Law Experience you can rely on
  • Free Initial Consultation
  • ~
  • No Recovery No Fee

Washington State Ignition Interlock License (IIL)

On January 1, 2009, the Washington State Dept. of Licensing created the Ignition Interlock License. This license allows individuals whose license has been suspended or revoked for an alcohol related driving offense to continue driving provided their vehicle is equipped with an ignition interlock device.

The ignition interlock equipment will prevent your vehicle from starting if the equipment detects any alcohol on your breath. Additionally the equipment will require testing samples while the vehicle is being driven.

Am I Eligibile for an Ignition Interlock License?

To obtain an Ignition Interlock License a person’s driving record must reflect that

They have been arrested or convicted for DUI or Physical Control; and

They possess a valid driver’s license; and

Have not previously been convicted for Vehicular Assault or Vehicular Homicide within 7 years immediately before their arrest or suspension for DUI or Physical Control; and

The current suspension for which the IIL is sought is not for Minor In Possession, Reckless Driving charge that was reduced from DUI, Vehicular Homicide or Assault, or a Habitual Traffic Offender.

Do I have to install the ignition interlock equipment on all my cars?

The ignition interlock equipment must be installed on all vehicles which you will be driving. This includes any employer provided vehicle that will be driven by you. However, if you operate a commercial motor vehicle you cannot drive it while you have an Ignition Interlock License.

The requirement to have an ignition interlock device installed on an employer’s vehicle can be waived. To accomplish this your employer must provide to the Dept. of Licensing an Employer Declaration for Ignition Interlock Waiver. This Waiver must be forwarded to the Dept. of Licensing prior to driving your employer’s vehicle and you must maintain a copy with you whenever you drive an employer’s vehicle not equipped with an ignition interlock.

How long will I be required to have an Ignition Interlock Device?

You are required to keep an ignition interlock device on your vehilces for as long as the period your your suspension or revocation. On a first conviction for DUI the time period is 1 year. On a second conviction the device must be maintained for 5 years. On a third or subsequent conviction the device must be maintained for 10 years.

What other requirements are there to obtaining an Ignition Interlock License?

In addition to the non-refundable application fee of $100.00, you must provide proof of financial responsibility which is typically satisfied by a Certificate of Insurance (SR-22). Most insurance agents can assist you in obtaining this certificate.

Disclaimer: The above information is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. For legal advice you should review your circumstances in consultation with an attorney.

© Law Office of John J. Lutgens, April 16, 2009

Skip footer and go back to main navigation